This Saturday (August 14th) LSU will be hosting SQL Saturday #28. The all day event will feature a number of great sessions and speakers. If you’re a technology professional in the Baton Rouge area, this event is a must. Along with the speakers and sessions, there will be plenty of local technology professionals attending (close to 600 registered attendees) which should make it a great event for networking.
The local user groups will also have a table setup to help spread the word. If you’re interested in getting involved with the .NET, SQL, or SharePoint user groups, please stop in and say hello. I’ll probably spend most of the day at the table talking up the New Orleans SharePoint User Group.
A client wished to push data into their SQL databases from an InfoPath form. Usually quite a simple task but the form was published to a SharePoint library and had fields published so they could be displayed in the library. We looked into a few different mechanisms but ultimately decided on a workflow set to start on creation or update of a list item. The workflow consisted only of a code block that produced the contents of the XML file stored in the SharePoint library and passed it into a stored procedure. The following code block was used produced the entire contents of the XML file as well as the file name.
The variable workflowProperties is an instance of SPWorkflowActivationProperties:
SPWorkflowActivationProperties workflowProperties = new SPWorkflowActivationProperties();
// get file contents
using (StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(workflowProperties.Item.File.OpenBinaryStream()))
contents = reader.ReadToEnd();
string fileName = Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(workflowProperties.Item.File.Name);
At this point, you can use code to get specific values or pass the entire XML string to SQL depending on your requirements. I would recommend using SharePoint’s unique ID for the list item to identify the record in SQL. This will allow you to synchronize any CRUD operation on the SharePoint record to the SQL record.
Some time ago I found myself needing to format the data within a dataset. I thought about writing the code for it but then realized that a SQL implementation would probably be more efficient. I wrote two functions fPadLeft and fPadRight to allow a varchar(MAX) to be padded with any character (in my case it was zeros).
Here’s the fPadRight function:
CREATE FUNCTION fPadRight
@OrigString VARCHAR(MAX) = NULL,
@PadLength INT = 0,
@PadChar CHAR(1) = ''
DECLARE @Result VARCHAR(MAX);
DECLARE @OrigLength INT;
SET @OrigLength = LEN(@OrigString);
IF (@OrigLength >= @PadLength)
SET @Result = @OrigString
SET @Result = @OrigString + REPLICATE(@PadChar, @PadLength - @OrigLength);
The entire scripts, including if exists logic, are included in the following links:
Pad Right: https://gist.github.com/4488425
Pad Left: https://gist.github.com/4488465